Monday, March 12, 2007

It's Hard To Be A Southern Belle


A few thoughts from Katie…

As I am rereading the first few chapters of To Kill A Mockingbird, I am reminded how wonderful long summer days are with neighborhood friends. Scout, Jem, and Dill play imaginary games acting out books they’ve read and movies Dill has seen, that is until they make up the Boo Radley game. I think I’d be too scared, both of Boo Radley and of Atticus finding out. I feel sorry for Scout, too, because the boys are beginning to leave her out. Good thing she has Miss Maudie across the street. Scout may not know it now, but it won’t be too long before she’ll be expected to act and dress like a young lady.

This brings me to the subject of Southern women of this time period. A Southern lady from a fine family would be expected to act and dress like a “lady” at all times. She would wear a dress or skirt, and she would be very soft spoken. Not expected to work outside the home, she would also be skilled in fine manners, and would grow up to be a lovely hostess, entertaining her friends with elegant parties and afternoon teas. How do you think this will work for Scout?

I hope you’ve had a restful weekend. I’m feeling like I have to make up for the hour of lost sleep!

See you Monday!

5 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger mellofelloet said...

I really like To Kill A Mockingbird is good. I remember in the book when Harper Lee is talking about how they saw Mr. Avery on his front porch, then the boys do the same. I would feel left out too, but then again I would not want to. I like how she puts in little things like that, that give you some "comic relief" from the other things that are going on.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Beefy Manwich said...

your dog is really cute in that hat. is she single?

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Laura Stevens said...

i remember the hot summer days when my dog would go outside the whole day until it was dark. She would arrive home with several other playmates and was very discouraged when we sent them home.
This makes me miss summer more than anything!!!!!
Only four months!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger A_Band_Geek said...

I could NOT imagine life like that! Oh my gosh... I wish you the best of luck trying to get me to wear a skirt and dress every day! I really do because I would absolutely refuse! GO SCOUT!

I think you probably would have had a better weekend than me. My cat got run over on Saturday, I had to talk to my worst enemy, and I had a mountainful of homework. Not that restful, wouldn't you agree?

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love summer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home