Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blogging Standards and Class Expectations...Odysseus Returns to Family and Kingdom



The first activity in getting our classroom weblog set up this week is an agreement for your student expectations. This weekend's homework included a proposed list of ten (or so) guidelines for participation on the blog. Today your team will review each member's rules and compile a set of rules for the class. As we discuss these for possible adoption, we will reach a consensus on our guidelines for the class. These are important. We don't want to hamper anyone's creative efforts on the blog, but at the same time we want to reflect the true academic and intellectual exchange we're after on our educational weblog.



The rest of the weekend's homework included continued reading of the Odyssey. After ten years at sea and an additional ten fighting the Trojan War, our hero Odysseus is finally home on Ithaca. We'll be looking at some of the lessons he should have learned along the way. I have to wonder as I read this part of the story, how on earth can he expect his family and friends to recognize him after all this time, and why does he want to test them? Would you recognize your parent after years of absence? Is the bond between parent and child that strong? Remember, Telemachus (Odysseus's son) was only an infant when Odysseus left for war. Telemachus sets out to find his father, but how would he know who he is? Should Odysseus's wife Penelope be expected to wait this long for his return? Overall, we should also be able to identify the ancient Greek values and heroic traits. Just how is Odysseus a hero?


Finally, in looking over this week's events, we'll continue reading independently and prepare to post to our weblog about our reading. A lot of you have expressed a readiness to get blogging, and I certainly agree.

16 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger superw0men13 said...

i cant wait intill we start blogging. my friends that had you last semester said it was really fun. so im excited.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger sadie star said...

she is so pretty! i love babys!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger betty said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Clayton Bigsby said...

Hey first blog, yes! Woot class is cool making all these rules!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger superw0men13 said...

Yah me too, Betty! I'm tired of waiting to blog!!!=]

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger betty said...

That baby is so sweet! I love that picture! I also loved your presentation today!! It made me even more excited for blogging then before! =] can’t wait to start!
~Betty~

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger ohiogirl592 said...

I agree Betty, it got me more excited when I watched the presentation today. This is one of the coolest things I have ever done in a class!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger koala said...

I'm ready to start blogging!! I'm tired of waiting!

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya...can someone tell me how to change my display name

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger superw0men13 said...

Yah, mechris7022 you have to go to your blogger and then go to your settings. Then, scroll down intill you see display name and change it to what you want.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger NYC ShowbizDancer said...

Aww your daughters baby is really cute!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Scarlett_Rose said...

Oh my gosh, that baby is so adorable, and what a head of hair!!!! I agree, I LOVE babies!!! That is an adorable outfit!!!!

I can't wait to start blogging. My friend that had this class last semester said she enjoyed it, too.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Laura Stevens said...

Aw!! I love the picture of the mother and the daughter! It looks like it should be in a magazine!!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Mrs. Valo♥ said...

whats with all the myths of one eyed trolls? and... ommm... stuff...

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't quite understand the part of the odyssey right after, odysseus and his men make it pst the Sirens. Some thing eats some of his men... and I don't know what else?

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Karee said...

i cannot wait til we can start blogging either!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home