Thursday, February 08, 2007

What is Real Beauty?


Now that you've read more about the Iliad, is it so hard to imagine that one woman could be so beautiful so as to start a war? You've heard it said that Helen's face was the "face that launched a thousand ships." I wonder what the ancient Greeks's idea of beauty was or if that idea has changed over the years. Are people today still swayed by a beautiful face? How much is our culture influenced by our media? Follow this link to beauty to see how easily faces can be altered by the media.

I'm sorry I can't be with you today. I'm hoping that you'll make good use of the time with the laptops. Obviously if you are here reading this, you're already doing the first part of today's assignment. If you haven't read through my posts this week, please take the time to read back through them and follow the links. After you are finished with those and have completed the webquest about Homer, the rest of the time is yours to read quietly. Don't forget to turn in your reading log at the end of class.

Monday there is a quiz over the first list of Greek and Latin cell words. If you don't have it, check with Mr. Gratton. Have a safe and happy weekend. See you Monday!

2 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Jessi said...

I believe we are very much swayed by the media's veiw of bueaty.
My book is wonderful, I'm on page 210, it started out kinda slow while she Margrett Mitchell was setting up the book, but now it's getting to the point that it should start speeding up, slightly.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger cavalierschick said...

I honestly didn't know that's how distorted the media is today. That's insane. No wonder girls have low self esteem. No girl can compete with a computer effects like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home