Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Have You Found a Great Book? They're Out There!


I love to read, but I'll have to admit, I have to make time for myself or the only books I read are books about research in the field of teaching reading and writing, methodology, work or self improvement! It's not that they aren't valuable, but there's really nothing like snuggling in with a really great book with no other intention than to enjoy the experience.

I am hoping that if I actually make us some time to read great books, you'll take advantage and enjoy some independent pleasure reading. I'm bringing some of my favorites tomorrow, and I'll be asking you to bring your favorite(s) on Thursday to share with the class. Tomorrow I'll share a Power Point about some current award winners, and by the way, they are all available in our library. The librarians have given us permission to come to the library on Thursday to check out books. If you haven't had a chance to search for one on your own, maybe you'll find one then.

Last semester I was still home on leave when my classes went to the library for the first time, so I blogged about my favorite books and this link will take you to that information about To Kill A Mockingbird, Kite Runner and A Prayer For Owen Meaney. (In order to actually go to the Kite Runner web site and also read the comments on my post, you have to go back to August 28th to access all of the information.)

Some of my friends commented on this post, and they talked about their favorite books, too. Please take the time to see what we all have to say. I'll be anxious to hear about your favorites this Thursday, and maybe we'll all get new ideas about what we'll read next.
Don't forget to bring in your letters tomorrow (if you haven't already), and your Writing Territories are also due. It doesn't have to be complicated. You need to have at least five categories with four or more ideas under each. If you didn't hand in your syllabus today, please bring it tomorrow. Thanks to those of you who brought in tissues for the class.
This is going to be a wonderful semester.

4 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger kendram said...

hey! its kendra from ur 2nd block english honors class. my favorite book is tuck everlasting.well c ya tomorrow!

kendra

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You showed us one of my favorite books today in class, I have Read Marley and Me too! Isn't it hilarious. I have a yellow lab named katie who has been around since i can remember, she is almost 12 yrs old! Some of the stories in that book remind me of her.

See you tommorow in class

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger 1dayi'llfly said...

I have many favorite books. One of them you showed the class today. It was My Sisters Keeper by Jodi picoult. The ending has a big twist that I would have never expected. I highly reccomend this book to anyone who needs a book to read. However, girls would probably like it more, just because the main characters are girls. I'm sure guys would like it too. Anways, see you tomorrow! =)

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Ms. James said...

Dear Kendra, Morgan, and "OneDayI'llFly," Thanks for the comments! I'm anxious to hear what everyone's favorite books are. Comments like yours will help us all add to our list of "must reads." (Thanks, too, for reading my post!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home