Friday, January 12, 2007

"A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet"


It is easy to see qualities in Shakespeare's characters that are still evident in human nature today. Do you recognize qualities from any of these characters in people you know...or even yourself? Tybalt's hot temperedness...Romeo's impulsive attraction to beauty...Mercutio's relentless attempt at humor (at anyone's expense)...Benvolio's kind and loyal nature...the list goes on. Who was your favorite character? Why? If this person were alive today, what would he or she do for a living? What would they be like?


Shakespeare’s work is eternal. Many of the lines from his plays are quoted or alluded to in other works. What are some of the famous lines you’ve heard before? How were they originally used in Romeo and Juliet? Who said them and to whom? When were they said and what do they mean? Do they still mean the same thing today?

As you blog this Friday, think about some of these questions and reflect on what you've learned. In today's blog post, write about any one or all of these questions...and, as always, partake in conversations with other bloggers and share your opinions and ideas. Happy blogging!

2 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger James Blonde said...

MS. JAMES!!!!! How ought thou today????? Hmmmmmmmm? I agree with you, I see those qualities in many people today including myself!!! Last night we had a Basketball game, and lost:^( I was TICKED OFF!!!! I got so angry I punched my locker and though I broke my knuckle! It didn't feel good, as you can very well imagine. I know that was stupid but, I'm just glad I didn't hit a human being...... Kinda dumb I know.

Well hey, have a great weekend,

Talk at cha later, Peace

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Dakota1600 said...

I love your picture, it is so beautiful. As far as Shakespeare goes, I was constantly amazed by his writings. How realilistic the characters were and there emotions. Shakespeare's way of puting the characters emotions and actions blew me away, it was as if he studied his actors/characters and mybe "became" them for a short period of time. I guess we will never know what great thoughts were going through Shakespeare's head during this time. I guess the unknown is the best way to go, even if that didn't work for Romeo and Juliet. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home