Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Waiting for Judgment Day


As I'm reading these chapters, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to be sentenced to die for a crime. How would it feel to be on death row? What about the defendant's attorney, the jury, and the family? Did Atticus really think that they'd have a chance in their appeal?





I remember reading about a group of law students studying death row cases, and they were actually able to prove innocence in a number of cases.
I want you to visit the web site for Northwestern University Law School and read about their work with death penalty cases. This site details actual cases which were overturned after law students conducted further research.




It made me appreciate how realistic and believable the fiction we've been reading is. It also makes me wonder how many other such cases there might be. In Mockingbird, didn't Atticus say that the one place where all men are equal is a court of law? Do you agree?

1 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger kdizzle16 said...

I can't even imagine what it would be like to be on death row...Only about two people are killed each year who are on death row, so it would take a while to die; I guess it wouldn't have been that long in Mockingbird. I think that the court system leads us to believe that everyone is treated equal within a court of law, but I don't believe that's true. I think it depends on how much money you have and how good of a lawyer you can get. I know that sounds bad, but it's true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home