Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Comic Relief and Understanding the Joke!


Yesterday's photo stories were imaginative and entertaining, and I look forward to the next step. As you are reading Shakespeare, be looking for passages to interpret via Photo Story 3. It could be 10 or more lines of poetry which stand out to you or challenge you. Look for literal and abstract images as well as music to share.


We'll also continue reading Act I, scenes two and three. We'll talk about comic relief and bawdy jokes. You'll meet one of my favorite Shakespearean characters, the Nurse. She's a chatterbox who never shuts up. What a great part to act on stage! She often steals the show when she's on stage. Once again, we'll analyze the setting for a better understanding of plot.




Tonight's homework is to read Act I, scene four. It's a challenge. Mercutio, like the Nurse, loves to hear himself talk, and sometimes he sounds crazy. Read over this scene on your own. Write down specific questions, using techniques we will use today in class. Tomorrow we'll share insights and frustrations, and we'll read these parts aloud.




Until then, adieu!

2 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Laura Stevens said...

Hello Mrs. James!

I am currently on spark notes, reading scene iii. The whole "Shakespeare" language is starting to make a lot of sense!
I would cover up the side that was interpereted, and then try to interperet the reading on my own.
I was very very close!

Things like, "younger than she are happy mothers made"
Things like that make sense :D

--Your Student!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Ms. James said...

I'm sharing this idea with all the classes. Bravo! You'll be reciting lines before it be marrow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home